Sunday, May 25, 2008

Things

Whew! What a week it's been! Kori had a crazy week at school with "Community Helper" presentations, a limo ride to a pizza party, field day, talent shows. It was a bit insane.

With the help of my sister Becky I was able to go to Kori's field day and help. She was gracious and thoughtful enough to take off of work to come and keep my trio. She was lucky, well as lucky as you can be when watching three almost 2-year olds, that they slept until 10:30 or so. It's tough to get up early when you keep yourselves up late meowing at each other. That's right, meowing. The cat meowed at me from the doorway of their room while I was trying to get them to calm down and go to sleep. This small gesture set off about 45-minutes of constant meowing between the three of them. It was funny though. At any rate, she was here, I was there and Kori was very happy about that. She had a great field day and I had fun helping. It was my first time, I suppose that makes me a parent field day virgin. I'd done field days as a student but never as a mom helping. I enjoyed it very much.

This was Jason's 1st 4-day weekend and man do I love them! He had off-duty on Thursday and Friday but having him home every evening is wonderful! Help with baths, corralling hooligan, I mean, the girls, it is wonderful! I pretend during these times that he's on days and we're just normal people going about our normal daily routine. Hey, a girl can dream huh?

Friday I took my parents to the grocery store. I'll expound more on that in another post in the near future.

Saturday we loaded up after the sleeping trio finally graced us with their presence at 11:15 (more meowing keeping themselves up late) and hit the streets for some shopping/errands. Kori needed a Hawaiian style shirt or dress for school on Thursday as they are having a luau. I got some books for my birthday later this week from Barnes and Noble. I was having some trouble locating the invitations and such I needed for the party for the trio next month. After some calling around I found a place in Overland Park that had what I needed. Gas at $3.75 a gallon, a trip that's 40 miles out of our way, heck with it, I had to have these invitations. Off we went!

Success! Partyware in hand, time for dinner! Well Kamryn invaded Alexis' "no fly zone" and so Alexis retaliated with pulling her hair and refusing to let go. I'm sure I looked like a loon climbing from the front seat to the back seat to get her to release her grip on Kamryn's hair. There were a few casualty strands, but all in all, no real injuries. I instructed Kamryn to stay in her own area and this would not be a problem in the future. Back up front for me.

Back to dinner! We stumbled upon Cinzetti's (I think that's spelled right). I knew it existed but didn't know where, we totally stumbled upon it by accident. Jason was thrilled because the outside signage boasted an "All You Can Eat Italian Feast". We were headed to the Macaroni Grill anyway so we quickly found a parking spot as Jason declared "This is it, we're eating here!" It was a feast. My little eaters were in pasta heaven, as was Jason. Kori and I did our fair share of damage and we declared our meal a complete success.

Well there was a hiccup or two.

Hiccup #1 - Right when we sat down and got everyone settled our waitress came over and started to take our drink orders. Well over came a lady from the next table, wearing a big, yep you read that right a bib. She was a grown woman and apparently was worried about soiling her clothing with spaghetti sauce, thus the bib? Well that's what I'm hoping anyway. Well she popped over and interrupted the waitress to ask, "Excuse me are those there triplets?" Now I was a bit irritated as we were in the middle of something and I said, as politely as I could muster, "Yes they are". She then very loudly yelled to her table "See, I told ya'll they was triplets, I told ya'll!!!!!" At this point I didn't answer any more questions, I quit all eye contact and I continued with our orders. Well this didn't go over well as I heard a few grumblings from their table about my "unfriendliness" towards her and her questions. If you know me you know I am a nice and friendly person. I have adjusted rather well to the peppering of questions and comments, gawks, stares, pointings etc. that we receive when we are out. We had encountered several already throughout the day, even meeting another mom with identical triplet girls, who were 11, at Barnes and Noble. Jason and I enjoyed talking to her a lot! (She looked sane and still had all of her original hair, I was impressed!!!! Hoping that's the case for me in 9 more years, I have my doubts at times and have considered a wig fitting sometime in the not so distant future). I just found this woman to be so rude in interrupting us and her loud yelling after the fact that I didn't feel like dealing with it anymore. My family was hungry, a minute or two interruption to some might seem like nothing, but to hungry kids, it's an eternity. I try and avoid/distract/deter any meltdowns in public, as much as possible.

Hiccup #2 - The table behind us had three boys, ages say 6-10 or so. Well one was about 8 and kept standing up throughout the whole meal. He kept throwing things (food, napkins, etc) and then would want to crawl around and retrieve it. His parents must have told him at least 100 times to sit down and eat. That was a no go. He literally stood and held on to the back of my chair for quite some time, which I found to be very irritating and space violating. I guess I expected a bit more as the kids were older. Goodness knows as a mother of a 6-year old I know they don't always agree with what we need/want them to do, but goodness, the parents did nothing to deter it except the repeated "sit down and eat" statements.

Other than that the meal was a success!

After a stop at Lowe's for flowers/tomato plants we were finally home. We decided the girls should play out for a bit to release some pent up energy. Good idea! After running and sweating it was bath time.

All was going well until I picked up Alexis to put her to bed, tripped over Morgan who had stumbled into my path, unbeknownst to me and fell. I did good to get Alexis semi-sat down before crashing but I banged up my left arm, right knee and right foot pretty bad. It's swollen and green and painful, but hey no injuries to the little ones, which was my goal.

Today was a baby shower for Becky and I. Jason was on kid duty until nap time. Then he and Kori headed out to do some landscaping in the back and tomato planting.

It was a good weekend. Unfortunately Jason had to head back to work tonight. Only 4 more days until his next days off, but who's counting.

0 comments: