Thursday, May 8, 2008

Fabric Softener

I have always been a "Downey Girl". My mom used it, Jason used it when we started co-laundering (sounds much nicer than living in sin). So that's all I've ever used. My mom used the original Downey with the pink cap. I have always used the green cap Downey, Mountain Spring or something ridiculous like that. I'm quite certain a mountain spring would smell fishy and more uh, nature-ish, but whatever.

Any way, I've had trouble recently finding the refill carton to refill my jug. I hate to just buy a new jug everytime. It's wasteful as my old jug is perfectly fine, it's more expensive etc. So I gave in and bought the original refill. Well it gave me a headache. So I bought a new jug. Man it's so expensive. I hate paying $9.00 for fabric softener, especially since I go through it sooooo fast.

So I decided a couple of weeks ago I was going to look for something else. I can't use Snuggle because I get hives and all itchy, it's not worth it. So I scan Walmart and I see something called "Suavitel" and then I saw "Gain". Wasn't crazy about the scent of the Suvavitel and it was a small bottle. The Gain had two scents, smelled nice and was a decent size bottle at just about $5.00. Bonus!

WRONG! I use it in my first load of clothes, which happened to be whites. Great! Jason's t-shirts smelled wonderful, but further inspection revealed them to be VERY SOFT, if you are comparing them to how soft they would feel up against cardboard! Oh my stars they were not soft like my Downey clothes. And the socks! Oh the humanity! It was like putting on an instant pedicure because I think I sloughed off some dead, dry skin. (I have four kids, my feet could probably use some work okay???). So I try some of my "pinks". We have a lot of those. They weren't too bad, but not as soft as I like, or am used to. I now put a little extra in than I usually would and it's decent.

I don't dare use it in things like sheets, jeans, and towels. Oh man, if I put it in towels, I'm afraid I might uh, uh, what's the word I'm looking for here, eradicate, okay that will work, I might eradicate something that I might need in the future. So no thanks.

At my most recent trip to Walmart I couldn't find the green jug even so I had to give in and get the original scent. I have mixed it with my 1/2 of a jug of the green in an attempt to temper my senses instead of shocking them.

DISCLAIMER: I cannot use any of the other Downeys because my husband does not want to smell like, Lavender, Lemon Grass (whatever the hell that is!), a Floral Garden, Tropical Rainforest, any of the new birthstone correlated scents, or anything else that might detract from his rough and tough manly exterior. Who would take one of KC's finest seriously if he walked up smelly like a Flowering Garden?

Life, it's tough sometimes, so many choices!

To the people at Downey, please bring back my Mountain Spring refills again, I am desperate!

0 comments: