Monday, May 5, 2008

Bad Storms

So Friday morning around 1:40 a.m. I was awakened from my Benadryl assisted slumber to rain, thunder, lightening, and Kori laying in bed with me. I got up and closed the window I had cracked and it was just pouring! Then the winds started. In all of my 34 (almost 35) years I have never, ever seen or heard winds like that. I was looking out our bedroom windows and the wind was actually coming in through the closed windows. The blinds were blowing, it was scary! Jason was working (of course!) and since our satellite was out due to the storm I called him. I was trying to remain calm as I didn't want to freak Kori out, but I'll admit it, I was scared!

Jason said there was a big storm coming in but that it wasn't doing anything where he was. (He's about 20-minutes away). I assured him it was doing LOTS here. I didn't hear the tornado sirens going off, but that's sure what it felt like. I decided it wasn't safe for Kori and I to stay in our bedroom since it's the highest part of the house so we moved down into the kitchen. I listed to the local news reports on the radio in the kitchen and they said a squall line with straight line winds was coming through. Well after a while it passed and Kori and I headed back to bed. (The little girls slept through it all!)

Jason called about 2:30 and said just north of us there was a lot of damage! Houses destroyed, some blown off the foundation.

Well the next day we learned it was an F3 tornado that came through. It touched down in a subdivision north of us, where LOTS of people we know live. One of the girls that works for Jason actually lives there and has some damage. We have another couple that have lost their home. Very scary! To drive through and see the destruction, it sure makes you feel thankful.

0 comments: