Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Daddy's Girl




Kori politely informed me the other day that while she loved me very, very much, she is "her daddy's girl". That comment warmed my heart and made me smile. I assured her that was perfectly fine, as I was my daddy's girl when I was young too. (If you ask my mom I still am because she says I always take "his side" but I don't, so don't believe her).

At any rate, this week Kori and her class, well all the Kindergarten classes are studying Community Helpers. Jason was asked a while back to give a presentation on being a Police Officer.

Kori has been excited about this since the fall when it was first brought up. It seems in her head she has counted down the days.

For the last week I've heard "Only _______ (insert appropriate number) days until daddy comes to my school!"

This morning I woke her up with my normal kiss on the cheek and her eyes flew open. She quickly said "Hooray, daddy is coming to my school today!!!!"

She got dressed without me grumbling, which I assure you this is a rarity. She wanted her hair fixed "pretty" as opposed to the crappy ways I usually fix it?

I bet she was about to bust throughout the day at school.

After the presentation, Jason brought her home from school. She walked in with a smile so big I'm quite certain her face must have hurt. I asked "how'd it go?" to which she replied, "It was AWESOME!" Please understand as a woman who never imagined I'd have one child, let alone four beautiful children, who all love their daddy very much, to hear this melted my heart.

I asked daddy how he did and he said he thought he did okay. He conferred with his expert in this area, and she confirmed that he did excellent! I sent my camera with him so Kori's teacher could take a few pictures for me.

Daddy did a short presentation on the duties of a police officer, went over the parts of his uniform, and took a police car to show them and to let them sit in. Kori informed me that a couple of the girls in her class said her daddy was "handsome". One told her she loved his hair color, that cracked me up!

I am glad that Kori loves her daddy so much. I am so thrilled that daddy could go to school. I truly believe he is one of the best officers, well Sergeants, I guess now, on the department. Someday I hope Kori can appreciate some of the things daddy has had to do and see at work, and realize how tough, scary, uncertain, awful and unpredictable the job and the world can be. But for right now, she's too young to grasp any of that, and I'm glad for it.

I'm just glad for now her daddy is her "super hero". We'll see if that's the case in her teenage years.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was eager reading this post faster and faster because I had to see about this AWESOME day!! (screech!!) I can't see the pictures. :(