Monday, May 19, 2008

My Saturday

Well Saturday was predicted to be a lovely day and it didn't disappoint. My sister and I upon hearing the weather forecast earlier in the week, decided that if that were to truly be the case, we should "do something". Her husband was working on their deck, mine was sleeping of course after working yet another night on that dang night shift. (Still there and I'm still thrilled about it).

Anyway, we decided to go to the Deanna Rose Farmstead in Overland Park. A nice place! I've been lots of times. When I was a kid and then with Kori when she was younger. They have animals, petting zoo, play areas, a dairy barn, Indian encampment, pony rides, pygmy goats you can feed bottles of milk to, fishing in a way overstocked pond (no way you CAN'T catch a fish in it!), hay wagon rides etc. etc. etc.

We headed off! Positive attitudes in check, diaper bags and strollers packed! We stopped for fuel before heading out, grabbed a couple cold (non-alcoholic of course!) beverages and we were off!

Motoring along, singing along to the radio when bam! TRAFFIC JAM!!! Oh painful! Kori began to complain. As if sitting in completely non-mobile traffic was my idea of a grand way to spend my Saturday. We detoured and I decided that I was Ms. Know-which-way-to-go. I should have listened to Becky. Anyway, long story short after a rather frightening journey through a not-so-great few neighborhoods,we were back on the road!

Woo hoo! We got some lunch, ate it at one of the picnic tables before entering the farmstead and we were set. We hit the play area first. It was interesting, that's a good word, keeping track of everyone, but we did. We didn't lose anyone, everyone played and was happy. Moving on!

Kori "mined" for gems. We bought a small sack of "sand" that had actual little chunks of rose quarts, pyrite, etc. in it. You mined the sand out in a little running water area and discovered your gems. She had a great time! We hit the dairy barn after that with the little girls, my niece included, putting on a great impression of the baby cows in there. We attracted some stares and lots of chuckles when others heard the choruses of "mooooooooooooo". As if we don't attract enough attention as it is right?

On to the goats! The littles missed out on this part. My sister took Kori and Mallory and I decided no time like the present for a diaper change on a lovely bench.

Goats fed? Check! Butts dry? Check! Onward! Becky decided we should feed the fish. I eyed a large, roped enclosed dock in the distance. I also spied the feeding machines to buy food. Cool! Uh not so cool. Trying to keep 5 kids from plunging into aforementioned pond...anxiety attack inducing. We quickly agreed this idea was BAD and we were getting the heck out of there! I got scolded since it was "my idea" but I thought we were feeding the fish. Not those fish you idiot, the big goldfish further on" replied my sister (well not in those EXACT words but close!). Ohhhhhhhh I said, just as my heart rate was coming back down and my breathing was returning to a semi-normal state.

After a melt-down inducing visit (for Kori) to a large antique tractor we moved on. We checked out some mud covered pigs, a donkey (Mallory does a GREAT impression if you ever have the opportunity for a listen!) a buffalo and we fed some swans before locating the actual fish my sister had in mind for feeding, prior to the stroke inducing dock visit.

The girls then ran around a little garden area complete with a play house, stepping stones, mini-bridge etc. Oh what fun!!!! Did I mention at this point all the kids are completely filthy and Morgan was a sweaty mess. (She is a big time sweater poor thing!) We had barrettes hanging from single strands of hair, dirt filled shoes, stained clothes, snotty noses, OH WHAT FUN!

After a bathroom stop we decided we'd had enough fun for the day. Thirty minutes later after loading up the kids and equipment in the car, my sister and I proudly deemed the day another success! We're like 6-0 or something so far! How did we celebrate you ask? By getting ice cream...BEFORE dinner! Well some did, I passed. Kamryn celebrated by taking advantage of the quiet time to catch up on her missed nap. Morgan decided after a while that was a good idea too. The others decided they couldn't miss a thing so they stayed awake.

We returned to Jason grilling burgers out, yay!

The girls played on the swing set after dinner, adding more dirt and grime to their already filthy exteriors. The evening ended when Alexis proclaimed to me "Uh oh, ca-ca!" Upon investigating further, I had to agree. There was a brown substance half way up her back and spreading at a rapid rate. Fun over! Time to hit the tub!

Ahhhhh success is sweet!

0 comments: