Sunday, May 11, 2008

Is It Over Yet?

Mother's Day that is. I won't bore you with the details, well actually not many details to bore you with. I won't bash on my husband, because I don't think it's intentional that he totally drops the ball on this day every single year. It must just be something lacking inside him somewhere.

My children were less than cooperative today. Grumpy, clingy, whiny, bickering amongst themselves. Jason worked last night and slept today so no sleeping in or breakfast in bed, not that those things have ever really happened anyway. I had the duty of getting everyone loaded up and heading to my mom and dad's. It's normally not an issue, but since they were all uncooperative, it was not an easy task.

Kori made me a cute card at school and also brought home some marigold plants in a little decorated cup, which was very cute and sweet. She made me a card this morning too, which was nice.

My husband "forgot" to have the girls sign my card, which was sitting on the desk, in plain view, for the last 3-4 days. He did bring me home a small boquet of flowers with a balloon this morning after work, but by then instead of them being a nice gesture for being a good mom, it was more along the lines of, I dropped the ball again this year, maybe this will make you not notice. Uh, nope, I had already noticed the unsigned card still sitting on the desk at 1:00 a.m. before I went to bed last night. I knew he would see the girls until 3-4 this afternoon to have them sign it, and to be honest, by then it didn't even matter.

I made my own Mother's Day dinner, cleaned up the mess, did diaper duty, laundry, dishes, bathing duties, bedtime duties. Really it was just another Sunday.

I would like to say that I make this day sooooo easy for him. I don't ask for extravagent gifts. I always ask for plants/flowers for my yard and this year I asked for a pedicure. The aforementioned card I even picked out (I didn't read the inside) but the outside was so cute and it caught my eye. It was something that was "totally me" so really even that took no effort on his part.

I'm really and truly not mad. Sad and disappointed, you bet. Of all the things I try and be, I really work hard at being a good mommy. Not saying I always succeed. If you've read any of my posts you know there were lots of days I failed miserably. It would nice to have had a my nice card waiting for me this morning and something showing some effort was put into it. Normally this is something I would just shake off and go on. Today for some reason, it's bothered me all day and left me bumming.

Oh well, it's done and over. My expectations were low this year, they always are, but even this year I am disappointed.

To all the mommy's out there...I hope you had a wonderful day.

3 comments:

Liz said...

I am glad its not just my DH I kept wanting to say when is Inconsiderate Husband day oh that's every day! My 23 year old daughter came through and Mary made me something at Baby School but nothing from DH (Dumb Husband) who pretty much said it was the day for the kids to come through for the Mom's putting him out of the loop!

Anonymous said...

((Hugs)) You are a GREAT mom!-- and a dear friend.

A~

anneke said...

Melissa - Sounds like my Mother's Day last year. I was so hurt, disappointed and just plain mad by the end of the day because I got NO acknowledgement. As I went to bed I was picking up the house and found a card he had bought, but hadn't bothered to sign and give me. That just made me madder yet.
Just know its not a reflection of you. You are a wonderful mommy - my hero!