Saturday, July 12, 2008

Lesson Learned?

We've had a drippy faucet in our master bathroom shower for a while. It started out just dripping as you were showering, then it started dripping for a few seconds after you'd turn the shower off. For a while now it's been dripping pretty much all the time. A couple weeks ago Jason got a new faucet on one of his MANY trips to Lowe's.

Today he decided, since it was raining and he couldn't work on his shed, that he would replace it. My husband HATES plumbing things. They never go right, he gets frustrated and it usually results in a call to the plumber which usually means $$$.

Anyway, today was the day! He came down after about 30-minuted and passed me hand mopping the kitchen floor (that's a whole nother post after this one) and I gave my best "how's it going?". His reply "Not good, I can't get the stupid old one off!" Oh goody.

After some more time I went to see if I could render any assistance. It appeared to be his pliers weren't getting a great grip on the ring he was trying to twist and remove. I asked him if he'd tried putting a towel over it and twisting with the towel on it. His reponse you ask? Nothing! Silence! It was as if he was ignoring me. I took that to mean that it was a stupid idea, as that's how he usually reacts when he doesn't agree with my rationale. I then suggested some WD-40. He figured he'd tried everything else so why not.

I returned to my role as "Cinderella" and was cleaning the living room when he jubilantly popped out of our master bedroom holding the old piece and proclaimed, "Haaaaa, I finally got it off!" Giving thanks quiety to myself because we could call the plumber, who was coming later, on a Saturday, which would mean lots of $$$ and cancel, I asked him how he got it off. His reply you ask? "I used a towel to get a better grip!" I then informed him that I told him that about 1 1/2 hours ago. Incredulous he didn't believe me. I finally got him convinced and his reply? "You need to be more assertive and make sure I hear you, I'm sure I didn't hear you." Whatever! If I get more assertive then I'm being bossy, less assertive and I'm a pain.

So maybe he learned a lesson? After 12-years together, and almost 10-years married, maybe now he will learn that sometimes I do have good ideas and occasionally I might even know what I'm talking about?

Naaaaaah, not gonna happen.

0 comments: