Monday, October 13, 2008

Saturday at Sam's

On Saturday I went for my flu shot. Jason worked the night before and was sleeping so of course i had to take the girls with me. Thankfully the girls were cooperative and we were in and out in a flash.

On to Sam's Club. Not exactly how I wanted to spend the early afternoon part of my Saturday, but we were in desperate need of diapers so we really didn't have any choice in the matter. Kori assured me that she would be a help to me, and not antagonize or anger her sisters in any way. (She was true to her word by the way!)

We made it in without incident, which is always good. I chuckled as we passed the electronic section. There were several big screen TV's set up with various shows playing on them. In front of each of the ones set up in the middle (there were five or so) there was a man standing in front of it, eyes wide, mouth gaping, completely entranced. That made me giggle quietly on the inside. Men, they're all alike.

So we were making quick work of our list. Of course once we got our diapers and headed to the food area things slowed down a bit. The sample ladies were out in what seemed like every aisle. These ladies bring out the absolute WORST in everyone. People act like it's an all you can eat buffet instead of a way for you to sample things to see if you like them, and perhaps might even like to buy the sampled product. It's not an after breakfast or before lunch snack, it's certainly not lunch or dinner. No need to hoard around the poor ladies as they hand out their wares.

The germaphobe in me will not allow me to sample the wares. I don't like to think about who might have slobbered, snotted, touched, breathed on, etc. on the peddled items so I pass. Kori will occasionally see something she likes and she tries it.

We muddled through and were making our way towards the last part of the grocery section. The light at the end of the tunnel was getting brighter! Oh no! There's a nice lady giving out samples of pizza. I watched one guy (as I was bogged down in traffic) get a sample. We walked around the corner, comes back with one of his sons and says, "Look buddy pizza!", as he takes another piece. Around the corner he goes, returning with another kiddo of his (I assume, unless strangers were willing to loan out their kids so that this man could scam some free pizza samples). I chuckled as I watched. This time he says, "Oooooh look (insert kiddos name here) pizza! Do you want to try some?" So they both take some and off the go. Thankfully he was out of kids, and perhaps loaners so his pizza consumption was coming to an end. Too bad for him, good news for anyone else who might want some. I can't believe this grown man thought he was actually fooling anyone. Well, the sample peddler was rather advanced in age (mid 80's I believe) so maybe she didn't notice. But myself, as well as a few others who were bogged down in traffic with me, sure did.

Long story short, we finally made it out. No one cried, screamed, broke anything, needed diaper changes, created unwanted attention etc. so it was all good. We celebrated by getting gas for a mere $2.70 a gallon and taking the car through the car wash.

I am amazed sometimes by the amount of excitment my life is brimming with.

1 comments:

Busy Baroness said...

I have yet to take all 3 of my kids shopping by myself. I'm afraid to. I am in awe of you for braving Sam's on a Saturday with four kids! You rock!