Monday, June 2, 2008

Bedtime Stories

Kori and I read books every night. It's something we've always done and I really enjoy it. Now that she can read, she usually reads a couple and then I will read one. Tonight she picked out a couple for her to read and she picked mine out as well. Mine was simply titled "Dolphin". Okay, cool! I love dolphins.

Page 1 got us started. Okay great! Page 2...a new dolphin is born. Illustrated picture as well. Oh great! Kori was like "Cooooool, look it's coming out of it's mommy's tummy. Look his little tail is poking right out." I'm thinking, "Please God, don't let this lead to ANY other questions about child/dolphin birthing. I'm not up for it tonight, it's been a long day!" Nothing further from her, awesome!

Moving on! We read about how the dolphins like to swim in the waves created by passing boats. Oh, that's cute! A little fact I didn't know.

We then get to the part about how the killer whales, or Orca's like to eat dolphins. Not so great! One is quickly approaching the newest baby dolphin and Kori is on the edge of the bed with fear thinking the baby will soon be whale snack food! I was thinking the very same thing. But after some fin slapping on the water, to signify danger, the male dolphins come in and rescue the baby and all is well! Kori and I both gave a little cheer.

We then read about them confusing a school of mackerel so they can eat them. I wasn't too torn up about that because mackerel aren't really cute or cuddly and there are probably lots of them in the big ol' ocean.

We're reading about muddy waters made my shrimp boats releasing unwanted fish into the water. The dolphinsmake some sound that echoes off the fish so they know where they are so they can eat them. Creative little fellas, I'll give them that. We're cruising along when along comes a......SHARK!!!

Kori exclaims "OH NO!" I 2nd that! Well long story short the baby dolphin calf gets part of it's fin ripped off by said shark and Kori and I are both a little traumatized and upset by it. The baby gets away finally and we learn in the next couple of pages that the fin will heal and all is well with the baby.

Yikes! So much for a nice light read before bed. We should have stopped with "Honey Bunny Funny Bunny" I think. I'm thinking children's book should come with a rating system like violent video games perhaps. **Warning** Dolphin Mauling Mentioned! Avoid this book if you are reading it as a light bedtime read! For mature and shark loving people!"

Tomorrow I will do a little more research on our bedtime books. Off to dream of dancing dolphins. Preferably ones with all their fins intact!

0 comments: