Saturday, October 20, 2007

I Survived

Tonight I kept some friends of ours' kids. They have a 9-year old boy, a 7-year old boy an almost 4-year old girl, add in my four and I had a house full! I think Jason was super excited to leave the house at 7:15 to go to work. I kept them from 6-10pm. The girls LOVED having the extra attention. Kori was excited to have people to play with. The boys were fascinated with the girls so I really didn't have to do to much. Just make sure there wasn't a lot of rough housing, but all-in-all, not too bad! It's nice to have someone to do this with. We've decided we're going to keep it up. Every few months we'll keep each others kids so we can have date nights with our hubby's. Her husband is an officer to. I actually went out with him a couple of times which is kind of funny. He's a super guy, we just always were friends. She's a sweet heart and has been an awesome friend to me. She used to watch Kori on Monday's when I worked. I wanted Kori to have interaction with other kids and she wanted a part-time gig so it worked out great. Kori had a blast going there as well, so even better. She's been great about coming over and helping me with the girls a couple of times a month. She's brought us meals both when the girls were born and also when I had my gallbladder removed. She took Kori swimming several times last summer when the girls were first born. It was great for Kori because she got away from the routine for a bit and got to be a kid for a few hours. She's been a very loyal friend to me and we're blessed to have her in our lives. She loves my girls like her own and isn't "afraid" of the fact there are three of them. Gotta love that!

It was a nice day here today. It was in the upper 70's and a bit breezy but so nice! Kori and I ran a couple of errands and then we came home and enjoyed the outside for a while. It's supposed to be super crappy next week so I thought we better take advantage of it. The trio got a ride in the choo-choo wagon, which always makes them happy! Morgan and Alexis were walking all over the place outside. I wish Kamryn would join in. I'm just so worried about her lack of walking. I know I probably should, but I am. I am having her pediatrician refer us to a physical therapist to make sure there's not something else going on. She's getting better about standing and such and will take a few steps but it just seems like her feet don't always want to do what their supposed to. I just worry about them so much! I always have, I'm a nervous ninny on some things. Overall though they are wonderful! Kamryn may lack in the mobility department but the girl can talk a blue streak!

I took Kori to the library again today. It's the 2nd time this month. Her school encourages each student to read 32 books a year. The Kindergartners are also encouraged to read at least 15-books a month. Last month we didn't get our sheet about it until the 15th of September. We did our 15-books though. We got it on time this month and thus far we've read 42 books! I read to her but Kori is starting to be able to read some of the more simple sentences which is awesome! She is picking out more and more words and I'm just amazed! We usually check out 25 books at a time or so. Today I think we got 28! She loves to read! We do it every night, it's our ritual and has been for a long time! I am a bookworm myself and if I had more time would always have my nose stuffed in a book.

That being said, there are posters in the hall with all the students names on the, broken down by grades/teachers. For every 10 or so books you read you get a sticker. There are some that have LOTS of stickers, then others with none. It is so sad! I just hate that parents slack in, well parenting. It just hurts me to hear some of the things Kori comes home and says about her class mates. For example, they bring snacks everyday. Each student is assigned a day and you get a calendar at the beginning of the month telling you which day is your designated day. There have been the same kids on their day for the last 2 1/2 months that "forgot" to bring snacks on their day. There are always "extra" snacks around for those occasions, but it's just sad to me. They can also order books from Scholastic Books every month or two. Last month one of the little girls in the class cried because some of the other kids were getting books and she didn't get to order any. It breaks my heart! This is the same girl who didn't participate in the two weeks of "Color Week" or silly sock day. She said her dad always says no, it's just so depressing sometimes. Yesterday the boy assigned to bring snacks (the one who at the rock earlier in the week) "forgot" and it was even the day before his birthday. No special birthday snacks or nothing...I just wanted to cry. Being a grown-up sometimes is for the birds. I wish I had the means to help everyone, I just hate seeing kids suffer. Whether it be on basic things like this, or the fact that their parents won't read to them, even one book a night. It only takes 10-15 minutes, if that, depending on the book.

Well I've had a busy day, I think I'll retire for the night. The cooler/rainy weather is coming...I think Fall is here!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog! The note on Oct. 17 to the girls was great. :) I like the pictures, too. Don't forget to send me a picture of the Halloween costumes. They are going to be so cute!

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.